Morphine

In my dreams I saw you.
You were empty.
A darkness pulsed in your chest,
The indication of a soul in pieces.
And you were aware, yet unaware of it.
Sometimes you bled, sometimes you snarled.
More often, you distracted.
With the screen

Friends

God

Dreams

I longed to help you;
I wanted to shine light into your soul,
But you didn't want the light.
It was too real.
You wanted a drug.
Something to dull the pain
You couldn't admit was there.

So I settled to be your opiate.
The silk of my skin was your morphine,
The brush of my fingers your escape.
My embrace numbed your pain.
You'll never forget the way I made you feel, because it soothed and comforted you for a brief moment
Before the pain flooded back in.

But morphine cannot sew a shredded soul back together.
I settled for being a drug when
I wanted to be something impossible.
I wanted to heal you.

Instead, I needed to heal, myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the Other Side of the Gap

Horror Short Story: A Letter to Isaiah

Welcome, Depression